ASVAB General Science Practice Test 2023 (PDF) sample question papers for Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery exam and Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT) preparation.
General Science (GS) tests the ability to answer questions on a variety of science topics drawn from courses taught in most high schools. The life science items cover botany, zoology, anatomy and physiology, and ecology. The earth and space science items are based on astronomy, geology, meteorology, and oceanography. The physical science items measure force and motion mechanics, energy, fluids, atomic structure, and chemistry.
Actual Exam Content in GS Part
Number of Question
ASVAB General Science Practice Test 2023
The following ASVAB General Science (GS) Practice Test is only for reference purposes, it’s not an actual exam test question. You can download our free ASVAB GS Practice Test in PDF (printable and editable), this will help you to make better ASVAB Test Prep offline. You can also use these files (PDF, DOC) as worksheets.
|Name of the Test||ASVAB Practice Test|
|ASVAB Stands for||Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery|
|AFQT Stands for||Armed Forces Qualification Test|
|Test Type||Sample Multiple Choice Test|
|Total Questions||25 (twenty-five)|
|Answers and Explanation||Available|
|Printable and Editable PDF||Available|
|Subject Name||General Science (GS)|
|Purpose||Measures knowledge of life science, earth and space science, and physical science.|
Q1. The basic unit of life is
- A. the cell.
- B. DNA.
- C. the carbon molecule.
- D. oxygen.
Q2. When a plant undergoes photosynthesis, one of the by-products is
- A. carbon dioxide.
- B. light.
- C. ozone.
- D. oxygen.
Q3. Why is the nucleus so important to a living cell?
- A. It controls the production and elimination of cell waste.
- B. It controls most of the activities of the cell.
- C. It controls photosynthesis.
- D. It uses oxygen to make carbon dioxide.
Q4. Which of the following do not have organelles?
- A. Muscle cells
- B. Protozoa
- C. Nerve cells
- D. Bacteria
Q5. Which of the following is not an example of a fruit?
- A. Raspberries
- B. Sunflower seeds
- C. Corn
- D. Potato
Q6. Which of the following terms can be used to describe a bird?
- A. Invertebrate, omnivore
- B. Vertebrate, warm-blooded
- C. Endoskeleton, cold-blooded
- D. Crustacean, endoskeleton
Q7. Why are decomposers important to an ecosystem?
- A. They make nutrients available for plants to use.
- B. They create soil for farming.
- C. They stabilize the soil.
- D. They enhance the habitat with specialized particles important to life.
Q8. Which of the following is the part of the skeletal system that protects the spinal cord?
- A. Marrow
- B. Cartilage
- C. Ligaments
- D. Vertebrae
Q9. A bruise on your skin is the result of which of the following?
- A. Excess strain on the muscle
- B. Broken capillaries
- C. Overactive sweat glands
- D. Swelling
Q10. The function that moves food from one part of the digestive system to another is called
- A. respiration.
- B. digestion.
- C. mechanical decomposition.
- D. peristalsis.
Q11. Which of the following words are all associated with the nervous system?
- A. Nephrons, urethra, bladder
- B. Antigens, T cells, cilia
- C. Hypothalamus, pons, cortex
- D. Lymph nodes, spleen, tonsils
Q12. Which of the following is the name for the space between two nerve cells where an electric charge transmits information?
- A. Nerve cell gap
- B. Synapse
- C. Axon
- D. Dendrite
Q13. Which of the following states is likely to have the greatest biodiversity?
- A. North Dakota
- B. Illinois
- C. Nebraska
- D. Florida
Q14. Which of the following best represents what happens to ultraviolet radiation from the sun when it reaches Earth’s atmosphere?
- A. It changes into chlorofluorocarbons.
- B. Some of it is absorbed by the ozone layer.
- C. All of it reaches Earth’s surface.
- D. It is deflected back into space.
Q15. Which of the following properties of a sound wave affects how loud or soft the sound is?
- A. Crest
- B. Trough
- C. Frequency
- D. Amplitude
Q16. The major force causing sea-floor spreading, continental drift, and the collision of continental plates is
- A. subduction of Earth’s core.
- B. creation of oceanic ridges.
- C. compression of continents.
- D. convection currents in the mantle.
Q17. When two tectonic plates converge and one rises above the other, which of the following are likely to form?
- A. Volcanoes
- B. Hot spots
- C. Tsunamis
- D. Rifts
Q18. Breaking waves or breakers that occur near the shoreline are caused by which of the following conditions?
- A. Earthquakes that occur far out in the ocean
- B. Friction between the wave trough and the ocean bottom
- C. The expansion of the wavelength of the wave
- D. Increasing tidal forces
Q19. How long does it take for Earth to make one revolution around the sun?
- A. 1 year
- B. 1 month
- C. 1 week
- D. 1 day
Q20. An eclipse of the sun occurs under which of the following conditions?
- A. Earth is between the sun and the moon.
- B. Earth is rotating faster than the moon.
- C. Earth, the sun, and the moon are perpendicular to each other.
- D. The moon is between the sun and Earth.
Q21. Earth’s greenhouse effect is caused by which of the following conditions?
- A. Changing rainfall patterns from global warming
- B. Heat from the sun that is trapped by atmospheric gases
- C. The increase in the thickness of the ozone layer
- D. The number of plants in tropical rainforests trapping CO2
Q22. Which of the following can hold the most moisture?
- A. Cold air
- B. Moving air
- C. Stable air
- D. Warm air
Q23. When a prevailing wind reaches a mountain range, what happens to the air?
- A. It is blocked and starts to move backward.
- B. It rises and cools, causing condensation.
- C. It expands and heats, resulting in rain.
- D. It expands and heats, resulting in a dry, desertlike area.
Q24. The process of erosion is linked to the formation of which of the following types of rocks?
- A. Igneous
- B. Extrusive
- C. Sedimentary
- D. Metamorphic
Q25. Scientists believe that the universe is expanding because of which of the following indicators?
- A. The difference in time it takes for light from various stars to reach us
- B. The red shift in the spectra of stars
- C. The difference in chemical composition of various stars
- D. The explosion of supernovas
Download ASVAB General Science Practice Test (PDF)
|Document Type||Download Link|
|Free Editable Doc File|
|Free Printable PDF File|
- ASVAB General Science Practice Test
- ASVAB Arithmetic Reasoning Practice Test
- ASVAB Word Knowledge Practice Test
- ASVAB Paragraph Comprehension Practice Test
- ASVAB Mathematics Knowledge Practice Test
- ASVAB Electronics Information Practice Test
- ASVAB Auto and Shop Practice Test
- ASVAB Mechanical Comprehension Practice Test