Medical Assistant Office Administration and Technology Practice Test: Try our free Medical Assistant exams (like CMA, RMA, CCMA, NCMA, CMAC) Office Administration and Technology review question answer. You can also download it in PDF format for any Medical Assistant exams.
The Medical Assistant exam will contain a variety of questions about the administration of the medical office. This test will test your data entry, computer concepts, records management, and appointment management knowledge.
Medical Assistant Administration Practice Test
Q1. Which type of appointment scheduling is most likely to be used for short patient visits in an office with multiple practitioners?
- (A) Double-booking
- (B) Wave
- (C) Modified-wave
- (D) Cluster
- (E) Time-specified
Q2. Which of the following completes the necessary paperwork for the insurance company on a referral?
- (A) Physician
- (B) Insurance company
- (C) Medical assistant
- (D) Patient
- (E) Specialist’s office
Q3. A numeric filing system
- (A) is not used when patient confidentiality is especially important
- (B) organizes records according to the patient’s last name
- (C) is the most commonly used filing system
- (D) may include portions of the patient’s social security number
- (E) is the only practical system for a large practice
Q4. The policy and procedures manual is written jointly by
- (A) all the employees
- (B) the physician(s)
- (C) the physician and the staff
- (D) the medical assistants
- (E) using a manual from another office
Q5. Which of the following items is an output device?
- (A) Scanner
- (B) Monitor
- (C) Peripheral
- (D) Software
- (E) Keyboard
Q6. Which of the following situations should be considered an emergency appointment?
- A. A pre-employment physical so that the patient can start a new job
- B. A child who sprained an ankle at school
- C. An older man with breathing difficulties
- D. A patient who ran out of medication and needs a refill
Q7. The ability of the computer system to recognize printed letters and numbers is known as
- A. universal product code (UPC)
- B. optical character recognition (OCR)
- C. fax machine
- D. image scanner
- E. optical scanner
Q8. The standard envelope size for general business correspondence is
- A. No. 7.
- B. No. 9.
- C. No. 10.
- D. No. 12.
- E. No. 19.
Q9. The appointment book of a medical office is set up by crossing off all times that will not be used for patient visits. This is known as setting up a
- A. matrix.
- B. calendar.
- C. schedule.
- D. timeframe.
Q10. A computer system consists of a number of pieces of hardware required for the operation of the unit. Which of the following is NOT a unit of hardware?
- A. Keyboard
- B. Database
- C. Central processing unit (CPU)
- D. Printer
- E. Monitor
Q11. Medical offices will use a number of different types of reminders for patient appointment reminders, EXCEPT
- A. telephone reminder calls.
- B. appointment cards.
- C. facsimile (fax) machine messages.
- D. postcards.
- E. all of the above
Q12. The file that is inserted on the shelf when a medical record is in use is a(n)
- A. closed file.
- B. inactive file.
- C. file label.
- D. out guide.
- E. Log file
Q13. The use of electronic mail (email) has one major disadvantage, which is that it
- A. adds to the time to get back to a patient.
- B. facilitates a rapid response.
- C. is not secure.
- D. may be used at a time convenient to the physician.
Q14. A patient is scheduled for an appointment and is a “no show.” The missed appointment is documented in the patient’s file to
- A. schedule another patient in that time slot.
- B. show all missed appointments in case the patient needs to be counseled on no shows.
- C. erase the patient from the appointment book.
- D. refuse further appointments for that patient.
- E. report the no show to the patient’s insurance company.
Q15. “Double booking” in appointment scheduling refers to
- A. one patient being booked into two consecutive appointment slots due to the nature of the appointment.
- B. two patients being booked into the same appointment time.
- C. two physicians practicing in the same office, using the same appointment book.
- D. three patients being scheduled on the hour and three more on the half hour.
- E. six patients being scheduled at the top of each hour.
Q16. The salutation line of a business letter reads “Dear Mr. Smith”. The punctuation mark that follows the salutation is a
- A. hyphen.
- B. period.
- C. semicolon.
- D. colon.
Q17. The medical assistant should do which of the following to protect against the loss of computerized data?
- A. Make a back-up copy.
- B. Format a disk.
- C. Use application software.
- D. Use spell check.
- E. Use electronic mail.
Q18. Which of the following names will come first in alphabetic filing?
- A. Smith, William Paul
- B. Smith, Paul William
- C. Smyth, William
- D. Smythe, Bill
Q19. When releasing medical records
- A. never release the original medical record, only a copy.
- B. it is appropriate to release a medical record based on a verbal request from the patient.
- C. when discussing the medical record with someone other than the patient, only release a limited the amount of medical information.
- D. send the patient the original record, when requested.
Q20. When the computer is turned on, the process of loading the operating system is called
- A. booting.
- B. back-up.
- C. networking.
- D. anti-virus.
Q21. The medical assistant should take which of the following steps when the physician is delayed in arriving at the office for appointments?
- A. Offer patients in the waiting room the chance to reschedule to avoid delays.
- B. Cancel all appointments for the day.
- C. Reschedule all appointments for the day.
- D. Offer to refer the patients to another physician.
Q22. All of the following pieces of information about the patient will need to be provided to the hospital when calling to schedule inpatient surgery, EXCEPT the
- A. physician’s name.
- B. time and day requested for the procedure.
- C. urgency of the procedure.
- D. anesthesia required.
- E. insurance co-payment required from the patient.
Q23. A tickler file is a(n)
- A. appointment card for patients’ future visits.
- B. chronological file of time-sensitive items by date.
- C. file of patients that were “no shows.”
- D. temporary file for documents before filing them in patient medical records.
Q24. A filing system using a combination of numbers and letters is
- A. alphabetic filing.
- B. numeric filing.
- C. subject filing.
- D. alphanumeric filing.
Q25. Medical records are organized and sequenced based on all of the following factors EXCEPT
- A. where the practice is located.
- B. the type of medical practice.
- C. the preference of the physician.
- D. the frequency of access to records.
- Medical Assistant Practice Test 2023
- Medical Assistant Anatomy and Physiology Practice Test
- Medical Assistant Nutrition Practice Test
- Medical Assistant Pathology Practice Test
- Medical Assistant Patient & Communications Practice Test
- Medical Assistant Professionalism Practice Test
- Medical Assistant Office Administration and Technology Practice Test
- Medical Assistant Finance Practice Test
- Medical Assistant Clinical Knowledge Practice Test
- Medical Assistant Laboratory Work Practice Test