ATI TEAS English and Language Usage Practice Test 2023. English and Language Usage: (34 items, 37 minutes) – section includes questions regarding punctuation, grammar, sentence structure, contextual words, and spelling. Specific content covered include key ideas and details regarding conventions of standard English, knowledge of language, vocabulary acquisition, and pre-test questions.
Of the 170 items on the TEAS 37 will be in the English and language usage content area, and you will have 37 minutes to answer them. This means you will have an average of a minute per question.
ATI TEAS English and Language Usage Practice Test 2023
|Test Name||ATI TEAS Practice Test 2023|
|Subject||English and Language Usage|
|Total Questions||34 MCQs|
|Test type||Sample questions answers|
|Time Limit||37 minutes|
|Negative marking||no penalty for wrong answers|
Q1. Which of the following statements about the outline is true?
- A. Heat engines are the most common type of engine.
- B. Pneumatic and hydraulic motors are both types of electric engines.
- C. The three types of engines are heat engines, electric engines, and pneumatic motors.
- D. Heat engines can be broken down into combustion and non-combustion engines.
Q2. The patient’s preoperative evaluation is scheduled for next Wednesday. In the sentence, the prefix pre – indicates that the evaluation will take place at which of the following times?
- A. before the operation
- B. after the operation
- C. during the operation
- D. outside of the operation
Q3. Which of the following root words would be used in a word related to the body?
- A. corp
- B. auto
- C. man
- D. bio
Q4. Unlike a traditional comic book, a graphic novel is released as one single publication, either in
the form of one long story or an anthology. Which of the following is an appropriate synonym for traditional as it is used in the sentence?
- A. old-fashioned
- B. conventional
- C. expensive
- D. popular
Q5. Her new tennis racket cost her a hundred bucks, but it was worth the steep price tag. Which of the following words from the sentence is slang?
- A. cost
- B. bucks
- C. steep
- D. tag
Q6. Though professional dental care is widely available in the developed world, the prevalence of cavities is much higher there. Which of the following parts of speech is widely as used in the sentence?
- A. adjective
- B. noun
- C. adverb
- D. verb
Q7. Typically, water that has evaporated remains in the sky in cloud form for less than ten days before falling to Earth again as precipitation. Which of the following parts of speech is remains as used in the sentence?
- A. noun
- B. verb
- C. adjective
- D. adverb
Q8. Though the term nomad is often associated with early populations, nomadic cultures exist today, especially in the mountain’s of Europe and Asia. Which of the following punctuation marks is used incorrectly?
- A. the comma after populations
- B. the comma after today
- C. the apostrophe in mountain’s
- D. the period after Asia
Q9. On Parents’ Day, a public holiday in the Democratic Republic of Congo, families celebrate
parents’ both living and deceased. Which of the following punctuation marks is used incorrectly?
- A. the apostrophe in Parents’ Day
- B. the comma following Day
- C. the comma following Congo
- D. the apostrophe in parents ’
Q10. Unfortunately, the belief that changelings could be convinced to leave was not just AN INNOCUOUS SUPERSTITION. ON SOME OCCASIONS, harm came to the individual who was thought to be a changeling. Which is the best way to revise and combine the underlined portion of the sentences?
- A. an innocuous superstition, on some occasions,
- B. an innocuous superstition, but on some occasions,
- C. an innocuous superstition; however, on some occasions,
- D. an innocuous superstition: on some occasions,
Q11. Which of the following phrases follows the rules of capitalization?
- A. President Carter and his advisors
- B. Robert Jones, the senior Senator from California
- C. my Aunt and Uncle who live out west
- D. the party on New Year’s eve
Q12. Which of the following sentences has correct pronoun-antecedent agreement?
- A. The storm, which included three days of rain, was very strong, and they left half the city flooded.
- B. Each of the cars needs to be examined for damage by a mechanic; he may need repairs.
- C. The number of people who had to evacuate hasn’t been confirmed, but it is small.
- D. Many people were able to take advantage of shelters, where he or she was kept safe from the storm.
Read the passage. Then answer the question.
In Shakespeare’s play Hamlet, the title character confronts a situation that seemingly leaves him paralyzed and unable to act decisively. At night on the battlements of Elsinore Castle, Hamlet is visited by his father’s ghost, one of literature’s great spirits with an axe to grind. The ghost solemnly explains how he was murdered by his own brother, the man who now sits on his throne, wears his crown, and has married his widow. Hamlet is charged by his father’s spirit with the awesome task of bloody revenge.
Q13. Which of the following is not appropriate to the overall tone of this passage?
- (A) seemingly leaves him paralyzed
- (B) At night, on the battlements of Elsinore
- (C) with an axe to grind
- (D) with the awesome task of bloody revenge
Read the following topic sentence. Then answer the question.
The 2010 explosion of the Deepwater Horizon offshore drilling rig sent millions of gallons of oil pouring into the Gulf of Mexico, presenting
engineers with an enormous clean-up problem.
Q14. Which of the following would be the best supporting detail for a paragraph organized by problem/solution?
- A. There were several reasons why the Deepwater Horizon oil spill threatened to become one of the worst environmental disasters in
- B. One method for dealing with the disaster involved dumping chemicals into the ocean to break up the heavy oil much like dishwashing detergents dissolve grease.
- C. Immediately experts began to debate about who was most responsible for the environmental catastrophe.
- D. Experts warned that the spill would have a major impact on the environment in the Gulf area, including wildlife and vegetation.
Read the following sentence. Then answer the question.
The sight of his broken coffee mug incensed Mr. Sacks, but we soon managed to pacify him by explaining it was an accident.
Q15. Which of the following words is an antonym that provides a clue to the meaning of incensed?
- A. broken
- B. pacify
- C. explaining
- D. accident
Q16. Which prefix could be added to the word cover to form a word with the opposite meaning?
- A. anti-
- B. dis-
- C. re-
- D. un-
Q17. Which of the following sentences has an error in capitalization?
- A. The East Coast has experienced very unpredictable weather this year.
- B. My Uncle owns a home in Florida, where he lives in the winter.
- C. I am taking English Composition II on campus this fall.
- D. There are several nice beaches we can visit on our trip to the Jersey Shore this summer.
Q18. Julia Robinson, an avid photographer in her spare time, was able to capture stunning shots of the local wildlife on her last business trip to Australia. Which of the following is an adjective in the preceding sentence?
- A. Time
- B. Capture
- C. Avid
- D. Photographer
Q19. Which of the following sentences uses correct punctuation?
- A. Carole is not currently working; her focus is on her children at the moment.
- B. Carole is not currently working and her focus is on her children at the moment.
- C. Carole is not currently working, her focus is on her children at the moment.
- D. Carole is not currently working her focus is on her children at the moment.
Q20. Which of these examples is a compound sentence?
- A. Alex and Shane spent the morning coloring and later took a walk down to the park.
- B. After coloring all morning, Alex and Shane spent the afternoon at the park.
- C. Alex and Shane spent the morning coloring, and then they took a walk down to the park.
- D. After coloring all morning and spending part of the day at the park, Alex and Shane took a nap.
Q21. Which of these examples shows incorrect use of subject-verb agreement?
- A. Neither of the cars are parked on the street.
- B. Both of my kids are going to camp this summer.
- C. Any of your friends are welcome to join us on the trip in November.
- D. Each of the clothing options is appropriate for the job interview.
Q22. When it gets warm in the spring, _______ and _______ like to go fishing at Cobbs Creek.
Which of the following word pairs should be used in the blanks above?
- A. me, him
- B. he, I
- C. him, I
- D. he, me
Q23. Which example shows correct comma usage for dates?
- A. The due date for the final paper in the course is Monday, May 16, 2016.
- B. The due date for the final paper in the course is Monday, May 16 2016.
- C. The due date for the final project in the course is Monday, May, 16, 2016.
- D. The due date for the final project in the course is Monday May 16, 2016.
Q24. Which of the following uses correct spelling?
- A. Leslie knew that training for the Philadelphia Marathon would take dicsipline and perserverance, but she was up to the challenge.
- B. Leslie knew that training for the Philadelphia Marathon would take discipline and perseverence, but she was up to the challenge.
- C. Leslie knew that training for the Philadelphia Marathon would take disiplin and perservearance, but she was up to the challenge.
- D. Leslie knew that training for the Philadelphia Marathon would take discipline and perseverance, but she was up to the challenge.
Q25. At last night’s company function, in honor of Mr. Robertson’s retirement, several employees spoke kindly about his career achievements.
In the preceding sentence, what part of speech is the word function?
- A. Adjective
- B. Adverb
- C. Verb
- D. Noun
Q26. Which of the examples uses the correct plural form?
- A. Tomatos
- B. Analysis
- C. Cacti
- D. Criterion
11. Which of the following examples uses correct punctuation?
- A. The moderator asked the candidates, “Is each of you prepared to discuss your position on global warming?”.
- B. The moderator asked the candidates, “Is each of you prepared to discuss your position on global warming?”
- C. The moderator asked the candidates, ‘Is each of you prepared to discuss your position on global warming?’
- D. The moderator asked the candidates, “Is each of you prepared to discuss your position on global warming”?
12. Based on the words transfer, transact, translation, transport, what is the meaning of the prefix trans?
- A. Separation
- B. All, everywhere
- C. Forward
- D. Across, beyond, over
13. In which of the following sentences does the word part function as an adjective?
- A. The part Brian was asked to play required many hours of research.
- B. She parts ways with the woodsman at the end of the book.
- C. The entire team played a part in the success of the project.
- D. Ronaldo is part Irish on his mother’s side of the family.
14. All of Shannon’s family and friends helped her to celebrate her 50th birthday at Café Sorrento.
Which of the following is the complete subject of the preceding sentence?
- A. Family and friends
- B. All
- C. All of Shannon’s family and friends
- D. Shannon’s family and friends
15. Which of the following sentences uses second person point of view?
- A. I don’t want to make plans for the weekend before I see my work schedule.
- B. She had to miss the last three yoga classes due to illness.
- C. Pluto is no longer considered a planet because it is not gravitationally dominant.
- D. Be sure to turn off all of the lights before locking up for the night.
16. As the tour group approached the bottom of Chichen Itza, the prodigious Mayan pyramid, they became nervous about climbing its distant peak. Based on the context of the sentence, which of the following words shows the correct meaning of the word prodigious?
- A. Very large
- B. Famous
- C. Very old
- D. Fancy
17. Which of the following sentences correctly uses a hyphen?
- A. Last-year, many of the players felt unsure of the coach’s methods.
- B. Some of the furniture she selected seemed a bit over – the – top for the space.
- C. Henry is a beagle-mix and is ready for adoption this weekend.
- D. Geena works to maintain a good relationship with her ex-husband to the benefit of their children.