CBEST Practice Test 2023 (California Basic Educational Skills Test) Free Question Answers PDF. Download printable CBEST exam test prep quiz for math, reading, and writing study guide and other preparation materials.
The California Basic Educational Skills Test™ (CBEST®) measures your proficiency in three general areas: reading, mathematics, and writing. The test was developed to meet requirements related to credentialing and employment and is based upon the theory that teachers should be able to use the same skills taught to students—skills essential to students both in the classroom and outside school. You should contact your university credentials preparation office, local school district, or state department of education for more information about testing requirements.
CBEST Practice Test 2023
CBEST examinees have a four-hour test session to complete one, two, or all three sections of the test. Prior to August 1995, each of the sections — reading, mathematics, and writing — was timed separately. Although you may divide your time among the three sections in any way you want, in order to be sure that you have enough time to finish all sections, we recommend that you budget your time approximately as follows: Reading, 70 minutes; Mathematics, 75 minutes; Writing, 65 minutes. Use the final 30 minutes to check your work.
The following CBEST Practice Test is based on a quiz format. After completion of each CBEST Practice Test, you can view your score. Our free CBEST Practice Test will help you with better CBEST test prep. 2023.
- CBEST Reading Practice Test 1 (50 Questions)
- CBEST Reading Practice Test 2 (50 Questions)
- CBEST Math Practice Test 1 (50 Questions)
- CBEST Math Practice Test 2 (50 Questions)
CBEST Exam Content
CBEST examinees have a four-hour test session to complete one, two, or all three sections of the test; the test can be taken by paper and pencil or by computer. Although you may divide your time among the three sections in any way you want, to be sure you have enough time to finish all sections, we recommend that you budget your time approximately as follows:
CBEST Time Allotment
Number of Questions
|1. Reading||50 Questions||75 Minutes|
|2. Mathematics||50 Questions||75 Minutes|
|3. Writing||2 Topics||60 Minutes|
|Time to check your work||30 Minutes|
|Total testing time||4 hours|
CBEST Test Scores Passing
All questions on both the paper-and-pencil and computer exams (except the essays in the Writing section) are multiple-choice with five answer choices for each question. Each of the three sections receives a score ranging from 20 to 80. The passing score for each section is 41; the total passing score for the CBEST is 123. If you score below the passing mark on one section (or even on two sections) but your total score is 123 or higher, you can still pass the exam, but only if your score in each section is 37 or above.
Note: Format and scoring are subject to change.
The following chart can give you some indication of your performance level:
|90 to 100||Superior|
|80 to 90||Above Average|
|70 to 80||Average|
|60 to 70||Marginal|
|Below 60||Needs Improvement|
You need to get about 70 percent of the questions right to receive a passing score.
CBEST Study Guide
1. Awareness. Become familiar with the test—the test format, test directions, test material, and scoring—by visiting the CBEST Web site at www.cbest.nesinc.com.
2. Basic Skills. Review the basic abilities required on the test in reading, mathematics, and writing. Know what to expect on the exam. Review Part II: Analysis of Exam Areas to help you determine your strengths and weaknesses so that you can develop a study plan unique to your individual needs.
3. Question Types. Become familiar with the question types of each area on the test outlined in Part II: Analysis of Exam Areas so that you can practice different versions of the same types of questions.
4. Strategies and Techniques. Practice using the strategies outlined in the next section of this book and make a decision about what works best for you. Remember that if it takes you longer to recall a strategy than to solve the problem, it’s probably not a good strategy for you to adopt. The goal in offering strategies is for you to be able to work easily, quickly, and efficiently. Remember not to get stuck on any one question. Taking time to answer the most difficult question on the test correctly but losing valuable test time won’t get you the score you deserve. Most importantly, remember to answer every question, even if you answer with only an educated guess. There is no penalty for guessing, so it is to your advantage to answer all questions.
5. Practice. In addition to the sample practice problems in Part II: Analysis of Exam Areas, we offer you four complete practice tests. Practice, practice, practice is the key to your success on the CBEST.
Official CBEST Preparation Materials
- Test Content: CBEST Test Specifications
- CBEST Practice Test, Introduction and tutorial, Reading, Math, Writing
Each section of the CBEST practice test is available in a PDF format:
Official Link: https://www.ctcexams.nesinc.com/TestView.aspx?f=HTML_FRAG/CA_CBEST_TestPage.html